A cure for the cold spell: The tastiest tomato soup on the face of the planet

Posted on Updated on

You have probably noticed that I’m already not doing too well with this whole “blogging regularly” thing now that the new year has begun. While most bloggers have been feverishly putting out posts on a daily basis, I haven’t posted since New Year’s Day. In my defense, I have had a few things on my plate over the past week, so give me a chance to explain. ;)

Up until yesterday, my dear friend Brynn has been visiting me here in Charlotte. She was my best friend until I moved away from the currently frozen tundra of Minnesota after finishing ninth grade, and while we have kept in touch over the years, we started growing close again only after we had both finished college. Minus a childhood trip to Florida, which I don’t count because the culture there is so different than it is here in the Carolinas, this was Brynn’s first trip to the southeastern region of the United States. It was so fun introducing her to the places I frequent and the life I have been living since moving away from our mutual hometown over a decade ago. While I have been able to picture her life (to a point) over the years because I am so familiar with the area where she and her husband are building their home together, she has had virtually no concept of what daily life is like for me here in Charlotte other than what I have shared on social media, which we all know isn’t truly representative of reality. It’s a great feeling to know that she will now be able to envision the places to which Chris and I are venturing whenever she and I share updates on our daily lives.

I considered making this soup while Brynn was here because the weather was extremely cold for the entire duration of her trip, but I ended up skipping it, being that I also wanted to introduce her to as many Charlotte-area experiences as I could during the four days she spent here. Instead of eating soup in the confines of our apartment, Chris and I took Brynn out for authentic Southern barbecue at Mac’s Speed Shop, a breakfast featuring the best grits around at The Flying Biscuit Cafe, and house-made pasta at Vapiano. The three of us also took in two comedy shows at both the Charlotte and Fort Mill locations of The Comedy Zone. While the three of us are all fans of comedy, we are also newbies when it comes to attending comedy clubs, so it was fun being able to try out something that was new to all of us.

I really wish that I could somehow transport a batch of this incredible soup to Brynn and her husband, Kevin, right about now, being that it currently feels like -23 degrees in the Minneapolis area. No matter where in the U.S. you currently reside, this recipe for tomato soup from The Novice Chef will be a lifesaver for you over the next few days as extreme winter weather continues to take over the entire nation. Not only is this recipe pretty easy to execute, it makes 6-8 hearty servings of soup, perfect for sharing with a crowd or freezing for later.

A cure for the cold spell: The tastiest tomato soup on the face of the planet
There’s just something about a homemade grilled cheese that makes tomato soup even more delectable than it already is. Even though it’s delicious on its own, I find it to be almost impossible to eat this soup without a grilled cheese on the side!

What do I need?

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 small-medium yellow onion, sliced
  • 2 (28 oz.) cans peeled tomatoes
  • 1 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup fat-free half and half (I simply used the fat-free version to cut down on calories, but I have also made it with organic, full-fat half and half; the soup turned out the same either way.)
  • 6-8 large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • Salt and black pepper, to taste

What do I do?

1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir over heat for about 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
  2. Add sliced onion to the pot and cook until the onion slices are translucent, which is usually about 8 minutes.
  3. Add the peeled tomatoes (DO NOT DRAIN!), vegetable stock, and sugar to the pot. Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 12 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened.
  4. Add the half and half, basil, and oregano; then season to your liking with salt and pepper. I use two cranks each of salt and pepper grinders, respectively. I would highly suggest using a grinder versus a regular shaker, as it provides more control for the cook.
  5. Using an immersion blender or food processor, puree the soup until there are no chunks left. Personally, I like to use my Ninja Kitchen System; just a few pulses makes the soup’s consistency creamy and savory. If you are using an older blender or one that doesn’t work very well, you may want to check carefully that there are no large onion chunks left before serving!
  6. Serve immediately with grilled cheese, crusty rolls, or any other cheesy carb you may be craving. ;)

With the arctic temperatures that are currently whipping across the entire U.S., most of us will be cuddled up inside tonight. Chris and I will be eating tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches, but what will you and your family be eating to stay warm this evening? I would love to hear your thoughts below, as always!

About these ads

76 thoughts on “A cure for the cold spell: The tastiest tomato soup on the face of the planet

Chris said:
    January 7, 2014 at 10:39 am

I can’t wait. It is the best tomato soup I’ve ever had.

Rosey said:
    January 7, 2014 at 10:45 am

I’m about to make grilled cheese and soup for me and hubby right now. Good comfort food. :) The kids are home on another snow day today, but they’ve already eaten. :)

January 7, 2014 at 10:55 am

I’m sure homes across America will be filled with lots of warm comfort food over the next few days. This cold streak has been just insane! I hope they are enjoying their second snow day!

Robin (Masshole Mommy) said:
    January 7, 2014 at 11:13 am

Tomato soup is my all time favorite soup and paired with a grilled cheese sandwich = heaven :)

January 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

I totally agree! If I can’t make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with my tomato soup, I love to at least add a few cheesy croutons to the bowl. ;)

Vanessa said:
    January 7, 2014 at 11:21 am

Looks so delicious! It is freezing here so tomato soup sounds perfect!

January 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

Stay warm! :) I hope you have these ingredients on hand so you don’t have to venture out into the frozen wasteland- lol.

Sarah said:
    January 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

You cannot beat a good tomato soup when it is cold – oh you have me lusting after a nice warm bowl now. x

January 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

I totally agree! I wish that I could run a bowl over to you after dropping a pot on Kevin and Brynn’s doorstep. ;)

Michele said:
    January 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

I just had a grilled cheese sandwich the other day-but did not have soup with it-but then I was a a restaurant! There is nothing in this world like tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich IMO!

January 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

The blogger who originally posted this recipe actually advertised it as a Panera Bread knock-off; I’m not sure if you have one of those restaurants near you, but they make one mean grilled cheese/tomato soup combo. I have never ordered it and refrained from licking the bowl. ;)

Melanie Scout (@GameOnMom) said:
    January 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

This is one of my very favorite meals. It’s so warm and satisfying, and it brings me right back to my childhood every time. I skip the sugar though!

January 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I agree that it evokes so many childhood memories of cold winter days, Melanie!

I’m not really sure how this recipe would differ in taste without the sugar, but I may have to try that out sometime just to reduce the sugar content, now that you mentioned it. While I try to consume as little sugar as possible, I don’t feel too guilty about two tablespoons divided between eight servings; however, if the taste doesn’t change, why add it? :)

Isabella Grey said:
    January 7, 2014 at 1:07 pm

That looks beyond delicious! I know what I’m having for lunch!

January 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I would just advise you to use caution when consuming by yourself; it is all too easy to indulge in two or three servings when no one else is around. ;) LOL

mommyjayme said:
    January 7, 2014 at 1:16 pm

The only thing I didn’t have was the tomatoes – just picked them up when I was grocery shopping over my lunch break!

January 7, 2014 at 1:20 pm

I had to make a special trip out to get them when I made this for the first time, as well. We usually have lots of canned tomatoes on hand, but not of the peeled variety. I would love to hear what you think when you give it a try! :)

mommyjaymeJayme said:
        January 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I will definitely let you know!!

Theresa said:
    January 7, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Grilled cheese and tomato soup are such a great combo on a cold day like today. I’ve never made tomato soup from scratch though. That is going on my bucket list!

January 7, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Oh man, this one has to go at the top of your list because it is so easy to accomplish! ;) This is only the second tomato soup I have made from scratch, and it was much better than the other recipe I tried. I hope you love it, Theresa!

My Journey With Candida said:
    January 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm

How much better this looks than the soup you get out of a can. I used to make a tomato soup from tomatoes in our garden. Miss those fresh tomatoes!! I am going to try your recipe… minus the sugar.

January 7, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Please make sure to let me know how it goes so I know if I should leave it out next time. ;)

I actually despise most varieties of canned soup; they usually taste watery and salty to me, leaving me unsatisfied but bloated, which is obviously a gross feeling! I really thought I hated tomato soup until I tried a homemade version at a friend’s house in high school and realized that I love the REAL thing. :)

Abby said:
    January 7, 2014 at 3:29 pm

This looks amazingly delicious… and I don’t even like tomato soup! haha!!

xo Always, Abby

January 7, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Maybe you will after you try this one, Abby- LOL. If you have only ever tried canned versions, I think you should give it a chance. I cannot eat a bowl of Campbell’s tomato soup, but you can’t keep me away from this one! :)

Christine Luken said:
        January 7, 2014 at 3:34 pm

There’s nothing like soup to warm you up on a cold day! I have a tomato soup recipe that’s very close to this one. I think I need to put it on my meal plan this month!

January 7, 2014 at 3:50 pm

I totally agree. :) I hope you will add it to your January meal plan; feel free to link it up for Meal-Planning Monday, too!

Lawna said:
    January 7, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I usually am not a fan of tomato soup, but I do have to admit yours looks very tasty. I bet I would love it!

Brynn said:
    January 7, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Casey, this is a lovely recap of our time together! :) And oh my gosh, does that soup look amazing or what?! Next time we come to visit, we have to eat this!! I used to hate tomato soup until I had a delicious tomato-basil soup at a restaurant. Yep, I am going to pin this recipe too!!

January 7, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Thanks, Brynn! Now that you have had your whirlwind tour of the area, I guess we can spend more time at home slurpin’ on soup when you come out here next time! I just hated to think that you would have one small break from all of your internship chaos and spend it mostly in my living room. ;)

Wendy Bottrell (@wendybottrell) said:
    January 7, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Thanks for the recipe! It seems pretty easy to whip up. Enjoy! Best Regards, Wendy

Nicole A. said:
    January 7, 2014 at 7:18 pm

After seeing this, I’m tempted to do grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner. It sounds yummy!

becca112971be said:
    January 7, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Yep, this is the best recipe I’ve seen in awhile! I must keep it for later, as I’m on a soup kick right now!

January 8, 2014 at 4:23 pm

It’s weird how we as humans often get on “kicks” when it comes to food, isn’t it? I feel like Chris and I always have new foodie obsessions. I swear that one week we ate nothing but Hispanic food for dinner, and then another week we used up an entire carton of eggs because we were addicted to breakfast foods. LOL I’m glad I could help you on your soup rampage!

Pam W said:
    January 7, 2014 at 8:02 pm

This looks great. Grilled cheese and tomato soup is the perfect comfort food combo.

anita (@KetoWoman) said:
    January 7, 2014 at 8:14 pm

These days are prefect for a warm soup and that one looks delish! I really really want that grilled sandwich as well! Yummy!

Jennifer Williams said:
    January 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm

I could use this tonight. I love tomato soup. Will definitely try this along with a grilled cheese this weekend.

January 9, 2014 at 10:08 am

It’s a great pairing for a lazy weekend. You can just leave the soup in the fridge and warm up a bowl when you feel like it throughout the weekend, and we all know how easy it is to slap together a grilled cheese on the stovetop!

Anonymous said:
    January 7, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I would love to have that right now!! I am getting over a cold so I know I can benefit from this.

January 8, 2014 at 4:25 pm

It’s amazing what wonders a good soup can do when your immune system is down. I have a really great vegetable broth recipe I will have to post soon, as there have been studies that have proven that vitamin-packed broths can help you heal more quickly. I’ll get on that! ;)

BabsProjects said:
    January 7, 2014 at 9:53 pm

With the weather the way it is today, I would welcome some piping hot tomato soup. Your recipe is so tempting.

January 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

This soup warms me internally; it’s the craziest thing. I’m not exaggerating when I say I can eat it and feel warmer for hours afterwards, but don’t ask me to explain the science behind it. ;) LOL

Chubskulit Rose (@chubskulit) said:
    January 7, 2014 at 10:01 pm

That looks so good! Tonight I made a pot of chicken soup, my kids loves it!

January 9, 2014 at 10:10 am

That sounds really good! Chicken soup is one of the things I miss about not eating meat. :)

Lady Lilith said:
    January 7, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Unfortunately, we are doing nothing special. When the kids get home, it will be to turn the heat on and get to doing homework. Ugh. I could go for this soup while we do it.

January 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Just so you know for the future, this recipe is SUPER QUICK to whip up! I used to avoid any soup recipes because I assumed they had to “simmer” all day long, but this one’s ready in less than 30 minutes. :) I hope you and the fan stayed warm as you worked your way through that homework!

Le-an Lai Angeles Lacaba said:
    January 8, 2014 at 3:56 am

Oooh. I’d love to make this for cold afternoons when it’s too cold outside <3

Michelle said:
    January 8, 2014 at 7:48 am

The soup looks deelish – especially with the super cold temps we’ve been experiencing. Glad to hear you’ve been enjoying life and friendships. Balance is good!

January 8, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Thanks, Michelle! I couldn’t agree more. It was so fun to have Brynn here for a few days; I can’t wait until the next time we can take a break like that together! :)

kay adeola said:
    January 8, 2014 at 8:44 am

The soup looks amazing! I always love fresh, homemade soup and will never eat it from a can because homemade is so much better.

January 8, 2014 at 4:28 pm

It is so hard to go back to prepackaged or canned foods after having a fresh, homemade version of something, isn’t it? I feel like this is ESPECIALLY true of soup. There are many things I can handle and actually even enjoy from a can, but tomato soup is NOT one of them. ;)

Ashley Gill said:
    January 8, 2014 at 9:08 am

I have been on a search for a yummy tomato soup. I recently found out a lot of tomato soups have gluten in them and this one appears to not! How exciting! I’ve pinned it to my board and am excited to try!

January 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm

I’m so glad that it works for your dietary needs! I am not gluten-free, but I am always excited to hear that I have “accidentally” posted a recipe that those who are GF can enjoy. Whether you are adhering to a GF diet out of necessity or desire, I know that my GF friends have said it’s often a difficult lifestyle to follow, even if it’s worth it!

mommyjayme said:
    January 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

Casey, I think I’m going to make this tonight but I have a question for you. Peter will get home quite a bit later than I’ll be eating – do you think that it will be okay to let it sit in a crockpot or do you think I should make it when we’ll both be able to eat at the same time?

mommyjayme said:
      January 8, 2014 at 10:49 am

And yes, as I read what I posted, I realize it sounds like I’ve never cooked in my life. ;)

January 8, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I would understand your hesitance, being that it’s not a thicker stew that you would normally stick in a crockpot. ;) I think it would definitely be okay to be in the crockpot, but I would leave it on a lower setting, or it will start to boil and may burn.

I actually brought some over to Mom and Dad’s last night around 5:30 when their frozen pipes burst, and I warmed it up in the crockpot on “Low” and left it there throughout the evening for Chris and Dad to come back to after they were working on the plumbing issue. They thought it was great, and I have to admit it was really good when I came back to it at about 10:00 and had a little bowl before we headed home. ;)

Amanda McMahon said:
    January 8, 2014 at 12:16 pm

You definitely have reason to not blog. Enjoy your classic American meal :)

blog@fabulousperks.com said:
    January 8, 2014 at 3:13 pm

I’ve actually never had tomato soup. I hear so much good things about it, though, and this one looks great.

January 8, 2014 at 4:20 pm

You have never tried tomato soup?! Wow, that’s almost sacrilegious. You should definitely make your first experience a good one by using this recipe. ;)

Amanda (@FrugalGreenMama) said:
    January 8, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I really can’t think of anything better to have for dinner since it is so bitterly cold outside.

January 8, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I couldn’t agree more, Amanda. I made this AGAIN last night, and my family still isn’t sick of it, even though we just had it about a week ago, and its leftovers last for several days. ;)

Onica {MommyFactor} said:
    January 8, 2014 at 5:25 pm

A great tasting tomato soup is the best. During this winter season I plan on eating lots of soup!

January 8, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I’m right there with you! ;) I have a great corn chowder recipe I can’t wait to make later this week.

Lori said:
    January 8, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Want to hear something funny? I cried tonight because my husband did a surprise trip to the grocery store without telling me and I have been CRAVING tomato soup like it’s nobody’s business. I was so devestated that I literally cried. Guess what this post made me do? LOL! Cry… but they are tears of joy because I printed out the recipe and will be at the grocery store as soon as I drop the kids off at school, because come hell or high water I’m making this soup. Pregnancy does crazy things to me. Hahahahahaha!

January 9, 2014 at 10:04 am

This cracked me up! I just know I’m going to be a crazy woman about food when it comes time for Chris and I to have children, so even though I’m not pregnant, I feel like I can totally identify. ;) I think your husband should make the soup for you, being that he made you cry- haha! I hope you get your soup fix soon, Lori!

The *New* Classy (@TheNewClassy) said:
    January 8, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I don’t normally like tomato soup, but that looks really thick and good. I might could be persuaded. :)

January 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

It’s definitely not thin and, well… soupy- lol. It definitely has a nice, thick consistency that will fill you right up, especially if you pair it with a grilled cheese! ;)

ladymarielle said:
    January 9, 2014 at 1:39 am

I hate cooking when it is cold =( This recipe looks simple enough but my son is a picky eater, he will think it is ketchup (he absolutely HATES ketchup…don’t ask me why…i can’t figure it out lol)

January 9, 2014 at 10:07 am

I understand how kids can be overly picky; I’m married to a 27-year old kid. ;) LOL

You should tell him that the lady who posted the recipe HATES ketchup with a passion but loves this soup; that is absolutely a true statement! :)

gn0mel0ver said:
    January 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I am always on the hunt for a new tomato soup recipe. I am going to try this one! Yum! And yes, you must have grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. It is a must! On texas toast, of course.

Jenni

January 11, 2014 at 10:45 pm

I hope you love it when you give it a try! Both my sister and one of my parents’ friends tried it out this past week and sent me Facebook messages telling me how their families loved it! :)