Beautiful bows: Adding magic to presents and ensembles alike

Posted on Updated on

There’s an element of magic added to any holiday present when it’s topped with even the simplest gift bow. Whether a bow is big or small, matte or shiny, or solid or patterned, even the humblest of gifts seems spectacular when crowned with the perfect adornment.

When I was a little girl, I remember gingerly removing the sparkly bows that my grandmother would stick atop every one of my beautifully wrapped presents. Also a DIY maven, my aunt would scour out the most dazzling fabrics she could find and use them to make cloth bows that she tied perfectly around the gift boxes she handed out to my cousins and me.

Now that I’m in my twenties and focus more on giving than receiving this time of year, I feel like something is missing if even one of the gifts I wrapped is delivered without a beautiful bow.

Beautiful bows: Adding magic to outfits and presents alike

Until recently, I thought that my favorite holiday embellishment was only used as a finishing touch on gift-wrapped presents, but now I’m convinced that the right bow also perfectly ties together a stylish ensemble.

Beautiful bows: Adding magic to outfits and presents alike
The Tweed Magnificent Sash by Miss Albright
Photo Courtesy of Anthropologie

When I was listing some items on Ebay recently, I found myself doing some selfish browsing and came across a brand new Tweed Magnificent Sash for only five bucks! While I’ve been trying to avoid spending anything on myself this holiday season, I just had to give in and make this one tiny purchase. The only thing that could have made the transaction any more exciting is if it had arrived in a bow-topped Christmas box, although the sweet note the seller included in the package was just as joy-inducing.

Street Style

Beautiful bows: Adding magic to outfits and presents alike
You guys will have to bear with me for a while. My Canon bit the dust, so until its replacement arrives, I have to rely on my iPhone for any photos!

Honestly, I never expected to wear this terry-fleece dress outside of the house when I first purchased it from Old Navy. Actually, I bought it for the sole purpose of replacing the jersey-knit nightie that I have been wearing to shreds for the past three years. Quite frankly, the nightie was ready to bite the dust about a year ago, but I’ve been in denial.

After throwing the Old Navy dress on over some leggings to run errands a few months ago, I was unexpectedly bombarded with compliments. On its own, my “sleep dress” looks like a boring, oversized sweatshirt; with the right accessories, it is the perfect foundation for a number of cozy-chic outfits.

Needless to say, I’m still on the prowl for a replacement nightie.

Dress: Old Navy

Leggings: LC Lauren Conrad (Kohl’s)

Bracelets: American Eagle Outfitters (Similar)

Belt: Tweed Magnificent Sash by Miss Albright (Anthropologie)

Shoes: Mudd (Kohl’s)

Unfortunately, the only way you can buy the Miss Albright belt I stumbled across is by purchasing it second-hand. While I have seen it pop up in a few different colors on Ebay and Effortless Anthropologie, you can also find other adorable bow styles that are currently available in stores.

No matter what your style or budget is, you can add some holiday cheer to any outfit with one of these beautifully bow-shaped belts:

Bow Belts- Veggiesandglitter.com

Sash belt ($35)
etsy.com

Topshop bow waist belt ($16)
topshop.com

Madewell leather bow belt ($35)
madewell.com

FOSSIL real leather belt ($32)
macys.com

LOFT adjustable belt ($30)
loft.com

Forever 21 belt ($5)
forever21.com
Which of these belts is your personal favorite, and what do you think of embellishing outfits with bows? Share your thoughts below!
About these ads

34 thoughts on “Beautiful bows: Adding magic to presents and ensembles alike

Tracie said:
    December 16, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I love the dress and the bow! They are super cute together. I have a sweater dress that could use a cute bow detail this year.

Liz Mays said:
    December 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I hadn’t thought about it before, but that looks so polished and really is the finishing touch. Love it and need to get a bow belt myself now!

brett said:
    December 16, 2013 at 4:42 pm

That sash is DARLING. I absolutely love it!

Debbie Denny said:
    December 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm

This is an awesome idea that would make the perfect holiday present!

Jennifer Brazil said:
    December 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm

That is such a cute look! I think any of those belts would look perfect for winter!

Ave said:
    December 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I don’t have any bow shaped belts but really would like to have one! Thanks for a great idea!

Natalie @ A Turtle's Life for Me said:
    December 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Cute outfit!! And $5 is a steal for that bow! I’m going to go check it out!

Pam W said:
    December 16, 2013 at 8:32 pm

That’s such a cute sash. I also really like the blue bow you posted!

Kelly R said:
    December 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I need to get one for my daughter. It is so cute!

Angela said:
    December 16, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I love how you tied your belt into a bow. That is such a nice touch!

Casey responded:
      December 16, 2013 at 9:54 pm

It actually came that way, so you’re giving me more credit than I deserve, but I still appreciate the compliment! :)

Momma on the Rocks (@MommaontheRocks) said:
    December 16, 2013 at 9:51 pm

I love the blue one. Very pretty!

cynthial1956 said:
    December 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

My daughter would love this bow! I know she would find a lot of ways to wear it. Funny how something so simple can dress up an item.

Karla Campos (@SocialMediaSass) said:
    December 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Oooo…. The red Fossil bow belt is calling my name : )

Lisa (@blm03) said:
    December 16, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I love your belt bow! It looks absolutely perfect with that dress!

Danielle said:
    December 16, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Your dress – and you – look adorable! I have been really into wraps, sashes and bows lately. Scarves too. And I totally hear you on the worn-too-much-but-can’t-let-it-go sleep wear thing. I have a good few pairs of those. However, I did receive a lovely package in the mail today that had a great pair of Mickey Mouse pyjamas in it – complete with a white satin head scarf! Pure heaven :)

Wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas said:
    December 17, 2013 at 12:18 am

You’ve got me thinking about all different ways to wrap a gift now! Reusable wrapping that is part of the gift is such a fun way to be earth-friendly and give an extra little gift, too!

5hugsaday said:
    December 17, 2013 at 4:30 am

Oh, these are *beautiful* bows. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Debbie said:
    December 17, 2013 at 7:16 am

I like the belt with the dress..the bow looks very nice. I think I will give this a try

Shannah @ Just Us Four said:
    December 17, 2013 at 7:19 am

This is a super cute bow! I love how feminine a bow makes things.

Janeane Davis (@janeanedavis) said:
    December 17, 2013 at 7:19 am

I like the ideas you have with bows. I would like to try using a scarf to make a bow on a dress today.

Mandi Welbaum said:
    December 17, 2013 at 9:11 am

That outfit is CUTE! My 16 year old sister in law is in with bows. We found some really cute bow dresses the last time we were shopping.

Amy Lynn Desrosiers said:
    December 17, 2013 at 10:46 am

You look super cute as usual! The bow really adds the finishing touch onto your look!

Danielle @ We Have It All said:
    December 17, 2013 at 11:03 am

LOVE your belt – I never thought to make or wear a belt bow!

Jordyn @ The Suitcase Diaries said:
    December 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Very cute! A bow belt would be a great way to breathe life into some old clothes :)

Katherine Bartlett (@KBWhiskey) said:
    December 17, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I love bow belts! They are adorable!

CrazyMom said:
    December 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm

How cool.. I love bows and never seen belt bows..LOVE it.. looks sooo classy… thanks for sharing

Malia said:
    December 17, 2013 at 4:18 pm

That is such a cute outfit! The bow sash is the perfect touch..

gn0mel0ver said:
    December 18, 2013 at 10:50 am

I love the dress paired with the belt! So feminine, pretty and chic.

I thought you were going to have Chris wrap up a present to you using the bow belt as the actual bow and then be surprised by what was inside. I was happy to see you keep the bow and wear it immediately. So cute!

Jenni

Casey responded:
      December 18, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Thanks, Jenni! For such a crazy low price, I didn’t feel bad about using it right then and there. ;)

Brynn said:
    December 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Oh gosh, Casey! I LOVE this outfit on you! I’m a huge fan of sweater dresses, but haven’t found a sweatshirt dress like this yet that works for me – I tried this one on but it hung super awkwardly on my body, haha. I love how it looks on you, though – you look so put together but I bet you’re incredibly comfortable :)

Casey responded:
      December 18, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks, Brynn! On its own, this dress looks rather awkward on me, too, which is why I thought it would be the perfect nightie! ;) With the right accessories, it looks so much better!

I love that skinny bow belt that you rocked on your blog the other day, by the way!

Somdyuti D. Ray said:
    January 3, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’ve been planning to buy a bow shaped belt for a while. Love the one you used. I bought a similar dress the other day. Yours is pretty cute. ^_^
    P.S I hope your camera recovers quickly. Your phone takes pretty great photos too. :)

Casey of Veggies and Glitter responded:
      January 6, 2014 at 10:17 am

I bet your dress is adorable; you should do an outfit post! ;) I agree that my phone takes better photos than some, but I am so glad to have a quality camera in my possession again!